Thursday, June 16, 2011

The renters are gone and the farm is on the Market!


I just came back from a weekend in Colorado to sort out the farm. After a few days of hard work, the place is looking much better than I expected. The renters did work on cleaning up the house - I have some issues to fix, but on the whole, it was in good shape. I wish I could say the same for the rest of the property.

The biggest issue was the barn. It was loaded full of the renters stuff....you name it I found it! (This includes a 30mm cartridge for some kind of cannon, loads of good kids out-door toys, a set of Olympic-grade weights, mattresses and goat poo! Beautiful!). So I hired a dumpster which I loaded to the gunwales! I also threw a few things up on Craig's List and sold about $110 worth of stuff which helped pay for the dumpster (it was $335 alone!). It took we an entire day...and with some help from a few neighbors, I had the barn looking much better.


I also re-landscaped the front of the house - 30 bags of mulch and a load of weeding. A new door mat and a good sweep and the place started looking like it did a year ago.

After the attempt to sell-by-owner (which was not a bad experience, but was not one we could do from 'afar'), a year of rent-to-buy (which really was not worth the hassle), we handed the Farm onto a local realtor who we hope will do a fantastic job of getting the place in front of buyers. We even dropped the price a little to try and get it moving.

So fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment